Databases are excellent sources of good quality information. Below are a range of databases relevant to Languages and Linguistics.
- Box of Broadcasts (BOB): Innovative shared online off-air TV and radio recording service for UK higher and further education institutions. Choose and record any broadcast programme from 60+ TV and radio channels, schedule recordings in advance, edit programmes into clips, create playlists, embed clips into VLEs, share what you are watching with others and search a growing archive of material. Discover more about BoB National features by viewing their Video Tutorials.
- JSTOR: Provides access to the full text of many core journals in English and Drama. JSTOR is searchable by author and subject.
- Linguistics and Language Behavior Abstracts (LLBA): Abstracts and indexes the international literature in linguistics and related disciplines in the language sciences. The database covers all aspects of the study of language including phonetics, phonology, morphology, syntax and semantics. Documents indexed include journal articles, book reviews, books, book chapters, dissertations and working papers.
- MLA International Bibliography and Periodicals Directory: Provides a subject index for books and articles published on modern languages, literatures, folklore, and linguistics. [Senate House Library]
- Nexis UK: Access to regional, national and global newspapers, company information, market research data and country information, including the BBC monitoring service. Video Tutorials
- The Oxford English Dictionary: Features 600,000 words, 3 million quotations, and over 1000 years of English.
- Oxford Reference: An online reference collection that brings together two million digitised entries across Oxford’s Dictionaries, Companions and Encyclopedias. Best for checking a fact or finding key information on a person, concept or term.
- Project MUSE: Provides full-text access to over 300 journals in the Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences.
- ProQuest Dissertations & Theses: search for dissertations and theses from across the world. [Senate House Library]
- Scopus: Multi-disciplinary database containing the citations and abstracts of peer-reviewed literature. This database lists the number of times a work has been cited in other works and provides direct links to the abstracts of citing works. Access to full-text subscription content where available at QMUL Library via "library- check full text" button. Video Tutorial
- The Times Digital Archive: 1785-2011 (and rolling) provides access to a library of back issues online plus searchable images from the microfilm collection of The Times.
- Web of Science: Multi-disciplinary database containing the citations and abstracts of peer-reviewed literature. This database lists the number of times a work has been cited in other works and provides direct links to the abstracts of citing works. Access to full-text subscription content where available at QMUL Library via "library- check full text" button. Video Tutorial
The databases listed above are only a small part of the database collections at QMUL and Senate House Libraries. You can find the full list of databases available at QMUL via the Library's A-Z List of Electronic Journals and Databases. If the topic you are studying crosses a number of different subject areas, you may find it helpful to check the other Library Subject Guide pages for useful resources, contacts and information.