Databases are excellent sources of good quality information. Below are a range of databases relevant to Film.
- Academic Search Complete: A multidisciplinary database which provides full text for over 4,450 scholarly publications, more than 3,500 of them peer-reviewed. [Senate House Library]
- Box of Broadcasts (BOB): Innovative shared online off-air TV and radio recording service for UK higher and further education institutions. Choose and record any broadcast programme from 60+ TV and radio channels, schedule recordings in advance, edit programmes into clips, create playlists, embed clips into QMplus, share what you are watching with others and search a growing archive of material. Discover more about BoB National features by viewing their Video Tutorials.
- British Board of Film Classification (BBFC): Includes a searchable database of movies censored in the UK.
- International Index to Performing Arts (IIPA): Includes full text of over 80 serials and indexes content from more than 240 scholarly and popular performing arts periodicals, conference papers, obituaries, interviews, reviews and events. [Senate House Library]
- JISC MediaHub: Provides a single point of access to three major multimedia archives. It enables cross-searching and exploration of TV news, documentary films, still images and classical music from the following archives: Digital Images for Education, NewsFilm Online and Film & Sound Online.
- JSTOR: Provides access to the full text of many core academic journals, books and primary sources on the arts, humanities and social sciences. Tutorials
- Kanopy is a videostreaming service giving access to over 20,000 films from leading producers. Check it out to see what it has to offer! No need to log in while you are on campus. For off campus access you will be prompted for your usual user ID and password.
- MLA International Bibliography: Provides a subject index for books and articles published on modern languages, literatures, folklore, and linguistics. [Senate House Library]
- Nexis UK: Access to regional, national and global newspapers, Global company financial , company information, market research data, and country information, including the BBC monitoring service. Video Tutorials
- Oxford Art Online: Search across Grove Art Online and Oxford Art Reference in one location (which includes access to the Dictionary of Art). Oxford Art Online also includes access to the Oxford Companion to Western Art, Encyclopedia of Aesthetics and the Concise Oxford Dictionary of Art Terms. [Senate House Library]
- Oxford Reference: An Online reference that brings together 2 million digitized entries across Oxford’s Dictionaries, Companions and Encyclopedias. Best for checking a fact or finding key information on a person, concept, or term.
- Project MUSE: Provides access to the full text of over 300 journals in the Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences.
- ProQuest Dissertations & Theses: search for dissertations and theses from across the world. [Senate House Library]
- Scopus: Multi-disciplinary database containing the citations and abstracts of peer-reviewed literature. This database lists the number of times a work has been cited in other works and provides direct links to the abstracts of citing works. Access to full-text subscription content where available at QMUL Library via "library- check full text" button. Video Tutorial
- Web of Science: Multi-disciplinary database containing the citations and abstracts of peer-reviewed literature. This database lists the number of times a work has been cited in other works and provides direct links to the abstracts of citing works. Access to full-text subscription content where available at QMUL Library via "library- check full text" button. Video Tutorial
The databases listed above are only a small part of the database collections at QMUL and Senate House Libraries. You can find the full list of databases available at QMUL via the Library's A-Z List of Electronic Journals and Databases. If the topic you are studying crosses a number of different subject areas, you may find it helpful to check the other Library Subject Guide pages for useful resources, contacts and information.