Databases are excellent sources of good quality information. Below are a range of databases relevant to English and Drama.
- Academic Search Complete: A multidisciplinary database which provides full-text for over 4,450 scholarly publications, more than 3,500 of them peer-reviewed. [Senate House Library]
- Box of Broadcasts (BOB): Innovative shared online off-air TV and radio recording service for UK higher and further education institutions. Choose and record any broadcast programme from 60+ TV and radio channels, schedule recordings in advance, edit programmes into clips, create playlists, embed clips into VLEs, share what you are watching with others and search a growing archive of material. Discover more about BoB National features by viewing their Video Tutorials.
- International Index to Performing Arts (IIPA): Includes full text of over 80 serials and indexes content from more than 240 scholarly and popular performing arts periodicals, conference papers, obituaries, interviews, reviews and events. [Senate House Library]
- JISC Historic Books: Contains the full text or page images of over 350,000 books published in Britain from 1475 to 1900. Draws together content from two of the best-known early book collections: EEBO (Early English Books Online) and ECCO (Eighteenth Century Collections Online) and introduces new digital content: Nineteenth Century books from the British Library collection.
- JISC MediaHub: Provides a single point of access to three major multimedia archives. It enables cross-searching and exploration of TV news, documentary films, still images and classical music from the following archives: Digital Images for Education, NewsFilm Online and Film & Sound Online.
- JSTOR: Provides access to the full text of many core academic journals, books and primary sources on the arts, humanities and social sciences. JSTOR tutorials. Note: Senate House Library has additional JSTOR collections.
- Literature Online (LION): A collection of literature in English, comprising poetry from 600 to the present, drama from 1280 to 1915 and prose from 1500 to 1900. It currently includes more than 175,000 individual works. The Literature Online English Corpus does not include American literature. [Senate House Library]
- MLA International Bibliography: Provides a subject index for books and articles published on modern languages, literatures, folklore, and linguistics. [Senate House Library]
- Nexis UK: Access to regional, national and global newspapers, Global company financial , company information, market research data, and country information, including the BBC monitoring service. Video Tutorials
- Nineteenth Century Collections Online: British theatre, music and literature : high and popular culture: a wide range of primary sources related to the arts in the long nineteenth century, from playbills and scripts to operas and complete scores. [Senate House Library]
- Oxford Art Online: Search across Grove Art Online and Oxford art reference in one location (which includes access to the Dictionary of art). Oxford Art Online also includes access to Oxford companion to Western art, Encyclopedia of aesthetics, Concise Oxford dictionary of art terms. [Senate House Library]
- Oxford Reference: An Online reference that brings together 2 million digitized entries across Oxford’s Dictionaries, Companions and Encyclopedias. Best for checking a fact or finding key information on a person, concept, or term.
- Project MUSE: Provides full-text access to over 300 journals in the Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences.
- ProQuest Dissertations & Theses: search for dissertations and theses from across the world. [Senate House Library]
- RILM Abstracts of Music Literature: Indexes articles, books, catalogues, dissertations and other publications from the 1830s to the present. [Senate House Library]
- Scopus: Multi-disciplinary database containing the citations and abstracts of peer-reviewed literature. This database lists the number of times a work has been cited in other works and provides direct links to the abstracts of citing works. Access to full-text subscription content where available at QMUL Library via "library- check full text" button. Video Tutorial
- Web of Science: Multi-disciplinary database containing the citations and abstracts of peer-reviewed literature. This database lists the number of times a work has been cited in other works and provides direct links to the abstracts of citing works. Access to full-text subscription content where available at QMUL Library via "library- check full text" button. Video Tutorial
The databases listed above are only a small part of the database collections at QMUL and Senate House Libraries. You can find the full list of databases available at QMUL via the Library's A-Z List of Electronic Journals and Databases. If the topic you are studying crosses a number of different subject areas, you may find it helpful to check the other Library Subject Guide pages for useful resources, contacts and information.