Databases are excellent sources of good quality information. Below are a range of databases relevant to Engineering and Materials Science.
- Knovel Library: Fully searchable, full-text collection of engineering related electronic books.
- IEEE Xplore Digital Library: Full-text database of standards, journals, e-books and conference proceedings which mainly covers electronic engineering and computer sciences. However within the scope of the database there is lots of SEMS related topics such as aerospace, materials, and robotics and control systems.
- PubMed: Database indexing biomedical literature from MEDLINE and supplementary life science journals. Contains citations and abstracts. Also links to full-text content where available from open-access sources or via the "library- check full text" button.
- Scopus: Multi-disciplinary database containing the citations and abstracts of peer-reviewed literature. This database lists the number of times a work has been cited in other works and provides direct links to the abstracts of citing works. Access to full-text subscription content where available at QMUL Library via the "library- check full text" button.
- SciFinder: Provides the most complete coverage of Chemistry but also Materials Sciences. You need to be registered to use this database, and logging in either on campus or accessing the service through our proxy-server through the link provided.
- Web of Science : Multi-disciplinary database containing the citations and abstracts of peer-reviewed literature. This database lists the number of times a work has been cited in other works and provides direct links to the abstracts of citing works. Access to full-text subscription content where available at QMUL Library via the "library- check full text" button.
Other useful databases:
Box of Broadcasts (BOB): Innovative shared online off-air TV and radio recording service for UK higher and further education institutions. Choose and record any broadcast programme from 60+ TV and radio channels, schedule recordings in advance, edit programmes into clips, create playlists, embed clips into QMplus, share what you are watching with others and search a growing archive of material. Discover more about BoB National features by viewing their video tutorials.
Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ): Online directory containing open access material in many subjects. To find relevant articles/journals search for your subject or browse for your subject area.
JSTOR: Multi-disciplinary database which provides access to citations, abstracts and outlines for journals, books and primary sources connected to Engineering and Material Science. In some cases it also offers full-text access if it is within our subscription.
Oxford Reference: An online resource that brings together two million digitized entries from OUP's Dictionaries, Companions and Encyclopedias. Good for checking a fact or finding key information on a person, concept or term.
Statista: Provides statistical data from a wide range of international sources on populations, industries, economics, media, public opinion, companies, politics, lifestyles, and many other topics.
The databases listed above are only a small part of the database collections at QMUL and Senate House Libraries. You can find the full list of databases available at QMUL via the Library's A-Z List of Electronic Journals and Databases. If the topic you are studying crosses a number of different subject areas, you may find it useful to check the other Library Subject Guide pages for useful resources, contacts and information.